Mother’s Day breakfasts in bed are one of our favourite March traditions – but you don’t have to be a mum to savour this labour of love!
Celebrate the incredible women in your life – be she your mum, sister, wife, best friend or even yourself! – with a delicious bedside meal (or just a boozy brunch) soaked in the finest fizz. These indulgent brekkies are the perfect way to show them how much you care.
Sparkling Strawberry Pancakes
This recipe makes 9 American-style pancakes.
For the pancakes:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
190g plain flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp granulated sugar
60ml Champagne, or other dry sparkling wine
For the strawberry syrup:
450g fresh strawberries, halved and hulled
255g granulated sugar
¼ tsp orange zest
½ tbsp orange juice
1 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp Champagne, or other dry sparkling wine
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and oil until combined and then set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
3. Stir the wet mixture gradually into the dry mixture just until all the ingredients fully combine. The resulting mixture should have no dry flour left and appear lumpy in texture – set this aside for 15 minutes to rest.
4. Preheat a large frying pan or a griddle over medium heat until very hot.
5. Begin preparing the strawberry syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and cornstarch all together over medium heat. Smash the strawberries and then bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes without a lid.
6. While the strawberry sauce simmers, cook your pancakes. Gently fold the sparkling wine into the mixture until it is just combined. Drop a heaping spoonful of the mixture onto your greased pan and allow to bake on one side until bubbles begin to emerge and edges begin to firm. Then, flip the pancake and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden. Repeat the pancake process with your remaining batter.
7. When the strawberry sauce is ready, take it off the heat and stir in the sparkling wine.
8. Serve the pancakes with warm strawberry syrup and enjoy!
Fizzy Raspberry French Toast
1 loaf of bread, sliced
240ml double cream
120ml semi-sweet sparkling wine
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
190g fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Slice bread into thick pieces and arrange in two rows in a greased, 31x21cm baking tray. Allow the slices to overlap half way.
3. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, double cream, milk, sparkling wine, vanilla and cinnamon until combined. Pour the mixture over the bread slices; make sure to pull back the overlapped slices to evenly coat each piece of bread and use a pastry brush to brush the mixture on the bottom and sides of the bread.
4. Arrange the raspberries in and around the slices.
5. Cover tray with tin foil and allow to rest for at least 2 hours. (This is a great recipe to prepare the night before and let sit overnight, ready for baking in the morning!)
6. Brush the remaining egg mixture over the bread slices again. Cover the tray with the tin foil again and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the egg mixture has fully cooked and the toasts are golden brown.
7. Serve the toasts with butter, icing sugar and maple syrup.